The Federal Operations Unit, Ikeja, of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) has intercepted 102 bags of plastic rice branded “Beat Tomato Rice’’ with no date of manufacture.
The Customs Area Controller of F.O.U. Comptroller Mohammed Haruna, made the disclosure in an interview with our correspondent.
He said that the commodity was stored for distribution as Yuletide gifts for the public.
Haruna said that officers of the unit intercepted the plastic rice along Ikeja area on Monday, adding that a suspect was arrested in connection with the seizure.
“Before now, I thought it was a rumour that the plastic rice is all over the country but with this seizure, I have been totally convinced that such rice exists.
“We have done the preliminary analysis on the plastic rice. After boiling, it was sticky and only God knows what would have happened if people consumed it.
“I advise those economic saboteurs who see yuletide season as a peak period for nefarious acts to desist from such illegal business.
“The unit has decided other operational modalities that will make them run for their monies and count their losses, ‘’ NAN quotes the controller as saying.
He described smuggling as a global phenomenon, adding that such act could not be curbed entirely but could be brought to its barest minimum.
Haruna appreciated well-meaning Nigerians who provided the service with prompt information that led to the discovery of the bags of plastic rice.
The controller, however, advised the media to educate the public on the existence of plastic food, adding that it was no longer a rumour.
Haruna assured the public that the distribution point of the particular plastic rice seized by the unit had been blocked with immediate effect.
He said that investigation was still ongoing.
The controller said the unit would handover the plastic rice to the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) for proper investigation.
TO FEATURE YOUR SPONSORED LINKS BELOW CONTACT US @ [email protected] or call +2348106779778
CHECK OUT THESE INTERESTING STORIES:
- Groom in coma after N300k wedding savings hangs in MMM’s custody
- MMM Runs To Kenya After Freezing Nigerian Accounts, Promises 40% Per Month
- Dial 112 if any one attempts suicide due to MMM crash – LASEMA
- ‘stop Investing In MMM’ – CBN Warns Nigerians Again
- We Are Tired Of Waiting – Ultimate Cycler Users Blast Peter Walfing
- Earthquake hits Papua New Guinea
- 4 Helpful Tips to Become An Instagram Model
- The Movie 76’, Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations
- UltimateCycler.com Relaunches with New Features
- NDIC, CBN set-up study committee on ‘Trending Bitcoin’
- Senate to probe N213bn power fund
- Recession: NBTE boss predicts more job loss in 2017
- 60 Groups seek INEC’s registration Ahead of 2019 Elections
- Biafra News: Only Justice, Equity Will Stem Agitation -Igbo Group
- Rivers rerun: Police to probe Wike over alleged audio comments
- South Africa’s Steinhoff, Shoprite in merger talks
- Buhari’s daughter, Zahra, Finally weds today
- President Buhari celebrates 74th birthday
- Application opens for 3rd Tony Elumelu Foundation entrepreneurship programme