Mr Oyebade Olowogboyega, former Chairman of the Nigeria Union of Local Government Employees (NULGE) has said there was need for constitution amendment to give credence to the practice of journalism.
Olowogboyega, gave the charge on Tuesday in Osogbo, in an interview with DAILY POST, saying journalists deserve better treatment and recognition due to the sensitive nature of their job.
He said the constitutional provision that gave specific roles to legislature, judiciary, and executive organs of government in sections four, five, and six of the constitution respectively should be accorded the press in the same order.
He insisted that the roles and tenets of the press, as the fourth estate of the realm should be enshrined in the section seven of the legal document.
The unionist explained that the press remained an indispensable change agent in any society, and indispensable ingredient of democracy.
Olowogboyega also advocated for robust protection for journalists, and attractive welfare package that would ameliorate the risks of the profession.
“Our country is not left out in the violence visited on Journalists, we have witnessed assasinations of journalists in this country.
“We have witnessed terror attacks on media houses, there is need to ameliorate the risks of the profession by paying journalists very well including life insurance on all journalists,” Olowogboyega said.
TO FEATURE YOUR SPONSORED LINKS BELOW CONTACT US @ firstname.lastname@example.org
CHECK OUT THESE INTERESTING STORIES:
- Buhari receives captured Boko Haram flag, says Army must keep Nigeria as one
- Sterling Bank commits N500m to environmental sustainability
- NLC To Partner With FG To Halt Out-Sourcing Of Jobs In Telecom Industry
- Central Bank of Nigeria Shows Keen Interest in The Bitcoin
- Germany turned away nearly 20,000 migrants in 2016
- Digital Financial Inclusion To Create 3 Million New Jobs By 2025
- Governors, Political Leaders Congratulate President Buhari, Military On The Takeover Of Sambisa Forest
- Copy linkEPZ: 15 firms to invest in Jigawa
- Lawyer Says Customs On South East Roads Illegal
- Why we acquired 60% equity in Mobil – NIPCO Chairman
- Job recovery depends on 2017 oil outlook, says expert
- 7 Things Buhari Must Do In 2017 To Win Nigerians Back
- 2017: Implement N52,000 Minimum Wage, NLC Tells FG
- NDE To Create Over 800,000 Job Through Agriculture In 2017
- Nigeria’s Insurance Sector Seeks N250bn Budget Value
- Kwara releases N250m for Community Health Insurance Scheme
- PDP Calls On Buhari To Get Experts To Review Nigeria’s Economic Policies
- N25bn ETF: Lagos targets 900, 000 jobs by 2019
- Lagos Govt approves funding for MSMEs
- FG to capitalise Bank of Agriculture with N1trn