Mr. Nana Akufo-Addo, the 72 year-old human rights lawyer, will be sworn in today as Ghana’s new president.
He succeeds John Dramani Mahama who he beat in the 7 December election.
President Muhammadu Buhari and at least 10 African heads of state and more than 6,000 people are expected at the ceremony in the capital, Accra, where security will be tight.
Akufo-Addo, who had run for the office twice before promised free high school education and more factories. He was a former justice and foreign minister in the NPP government from 2001 to 2007,
Mr Akufo-Addo, from the New Patriotic Party, was elected on his third attempt to reach the post, after a campaign dominated by the country’s faltering economy.
Mr Mahama and former leaders John Rawlings and John Kufuor are expected to attend the ceremony in the capital’s Independence Square.
Major roads in and around the area have been cordoned off.
Mr Akufo-Addo has vowed to revive the country’s economy, saying that “there are brighter days ahead”.
An economic slump under Mr Mahama led to an International Monetary Fund bail-out.
The current president has defended his record, saying his government had been up against “strong headwinds” that caused growth to slow, public sector debt to rise and the country’s currency, the cedi, to fall.
Ghana has been a multi-party democracy since the end of military rule in 1992 and the transition is seen as reinforcing its reputation for the peaceful transfer of power between administrations.
*Adapted from BBC
TO FEATURE YOUR SPONSORED LINKS BELOW CONTACT US @ [email protected]
CHECK OUT THESE INTERESTING STORIES:
- News Reporters Needed At Financial Watch
- Apply for Nigerian Air Force Recruitment Exercise 2017
- 5 things every Nigerian girl traveling alone should do
- SEC Recruitment: ‘SEC Complied with Laid Down Procedures in Employment of Staff’
- Nigeria Police 2016 Recruitment Exercise And Training Date Is Out
- WorldRemit & GTBank Team Up To Launch Money Transfer Routes in West & Central Africa
- Nigerian Customs CG approves redeployment of 8 ACGs, 238 DCs
- 5 things to do before hiring a nanny in Lagos
- Over N5tr projects abandoned across Nigeria – Reps
- FG Announces New Reforms in Nigeria’s Public Service
- Lagos fire outbreak burn 3 children of same parent to death
- Millions Of Naira Lost As Fire Engulfs 48 Shops In Gombe Market
- Job Scam Alert: Nigeria Custom Recruitment Fraud Uncovered
- Chicken Consumers in Asaba Flay Increased Processing Charges
- NNPC Wins Best Website, Social Media Interaction Award
- Security Operatives Raid Patience Jonathan’s home in Abuja
- No plastic, only contaminated rice in Nigeria – NAFDAC
- Africa’s Wealthiest Woman Now Richer With New Acquisition
- Kaduna Employs 10,000 Youths In Agric Sector
- NNPC Begins Oil Exploration In Gongola Basin
- CSR: Access Bank Constructs Hostel For Blind Students
- Again, Buhari Cancels Bauchi Visit