The federal government has allocated over N4 billion for the resuscitation of the Ajaokuta Steel Company. The allocation is contained in the 2017 appropriation budget which was presented to the National Assembly in December by President Muhammadu Buhari.
According to the breakdown, a total sum of N4,272,797,371 was appropriated, higher than the N3.9 billion budgeted for 2016.
Minister of Mines and Steel Development, Dr. Fayemi Kayode, had reiterated the commitment of the federal government to settle all litigations between it and Global Steel Holdings Limited, as regards the steel company.
The company is Nigeria’s leading steel plant, and was intended to be the leading supplier of quality steel products in all the major economic sectors including construction, packaging and wire drawing/nail making industry.
Since its inauguration in 1983, however, the plant had been embroiled in managerial inaptitude, controversy ranging from allegations of obsolete machines and outdated blast furnace model.
Despite its initial completion, the plant had suffered years of neglect under successive administrations.
According to the ministry’s budget, the Nigerian Geological Survey Agency (NGSA) got N3.8 billion, chiefly for the generation of geological data which hadn’t been updated recently.
The National Metallurgical Development Centre, Jos got N821 million, the Metallurgical Training Institute, Onitsha got N722 million, while the Nigerian Institute of Mining and Geosciences was allocated N472 million.
About N99 million was earmarked for Artisanal Mines and Registration Mineral Buying Centres.
CHECK OUT THESE INTERESTING STORIES:
- Budget 2017: Ajaokuta Steel to gulp N6.2bn
- FIRS collected N1.207 trillion in 2016
- NSCDC Recruitment Of 10,000 Set To Begin
- Federal Government N5,000 Stipend: Read What Nigerians Are Saying
- Pastor Adeboye: Buhari’s govt interfering in church activities
- NNPC Announces Winners of 2017/2018 Crude Term Contract
- Stakeholder urges FG to build Nollywood City in 2017
- Son of Adams Oshiomhole, Cyril eyes Etsako Reps seat
- Delta Proposes N1.2trn For 4-year Devt Programme
- Saving One Million Lives Programme: Sokoto state gets $1.5m grant
- Gombe State Set To benefit from N-power scheme
- FEC approves 6 weeks closure of Abuja Airport for repairs
- Naira Slides To N492 At Parallel Market
- CBN, NDIC detect ailing banks six months ahead
- More Dark Side Of 2017 Budget: Upkeep Of Presidential Jets Gulps N2.4bn
- Ogbeh Warns poultry farmers on Looming bird flu outbreak
- 219,837 farmers participate in Anchor Borrowers Programme – CBN
- Security Operatives Raid Patience Jonathan’s home in Abuja
- Anchor Borrowers’ Programme To Create 1million Jobs By 2021 – Emefiele
- Ghana’s new President Akufo-Addo to cut taxes