The Federal Government has awarded the contract for additional works on the Second Niger Bridge linking Delta and Anambra States in the South-South and South-East zones respectively.
The Contractor handling the project is Messrs Julius (Nig.) Ltd., at a total cost of #14,446,010,416.16K (Fourteen billion, four hundred and forty-six million, ten thousand, four hundred and sixteen naira, sixteen kobo)
A statement by Mohammed A. Abdullahi, Assistant Director (Information) in the Ministry of Works, noted that “the existing Niger Bridge which was commissioned on January 4, 1966 is severely overstressed and its continued serviceability cannot be assured.
“The idea of a Second Niger Bridge started way back in the late 1970s but its realization has been delayed by several challenges. The Administration of President Muhammadu Buhari is resolutely committed to the completion of this important project.”
In a related development, the Federal Government has also awarded a contract for emergency repairs of Tamburawa Bridge along Kano-Kaduna Dual Carriageway in Kano State to Messrs. Borini Prono & Co. (Nig.) Ltd.
The cost of the project is #1, 898,456,175.00K (One billion, eight hundred and ninety-eight million, four hundred and fifty-six thousand, and one hundred and seventy-five naira) with a twelve-month completion period.
The statement added that “the scope of works for the Emergency Repairs involves the use of rock-filled gabion protection with reno mattresses, fitters and embankment protection to the abutments.
“This intervention is premised on the public outcry and concern earlier expressed by the Executive Governor of Kano State over the scouring around the piles and exposure of substructures of the said bridge and subsequent integrity test carried out by Engineers from the Ministry.”
CHECK OUT THESE INTERESTING STORIES:
- Niger Delta Crises: Ijaw youths kick as military arrests ex-militant leader in Delta State
- FG allocates 4.3bn for revival of Ajaokuta Steel Company
- N510bn bail-out funds: FG begins audit of State governors
- Director, 9 Others Suspended Over Fraud In Kano State Ministry Of Finance
- FEC approves 6 weeks closure of Abuja Airport for repairs
- FG Earmarks N236.6m For ICT University, Tech Park
- SEC Recruitment: ‘SEC Complied with Laid Down Procedures in Employment of Staff’
- 4,000 youths, women benefit from Edo employment scheme–Coordinator
- CBN to Meet BDC Operators on Forex Stability
- Delta State to Reform Government-Owned Media Houses
- Federal Government N5,000 Stipend: Read What Nigerians Are Saying
- Pastor Adeboye: Buhari’s govt interfering in church activities
- FIRS collected N1.207 trillion in 2016
- NSCDC Recruitment Of 10,000 Set To Begin
- Biafra news: IPOB mobilises for referendum
- Nigeria gets $2b extra from oil – Kachikwu
- 5 ways Nigerians can save money on car repairs
- FCMB Millionaire Promo Season 3 rewards four customers with N8m
- Bayelsa students not stranded in Ghana —Dickson