Apple Inc. said it’s investigating a customer’s claim that her iPhone7 began making strange noises and puffed white smoke without warning this week.
An 18-year-old Arizona woman posted video of the smoking smartphone on a social media page. The phone, an iPhone 7 Plus model, is seen sitting on the woman’s bathroom sink with white smoke emanating from the device.
The woman, Brianna Olivas, said she was awakened on Tuesday morning by squealing sounds the phone was making as it lay on a dresser near her bed. When her boyfriend saw the smoke, he threw it into the bathroom.
Part of the incident was captured on video. watch the Video here:
“I was so shocked because I didn’t know how this could have happened,” Olivas told CNET.
Olivas said she bought the phone in early January and never had any trouble with it until this week — when the device would not power up, even when sufficiently charged. When on one attempt the phone did power up, it became inoperable again after a short period of time.
Apple said it is looking into the matter.
Olivas said the phone’s screen had also become tinged with a yellowish tint in the days before it exploded, and that employees at a Sprint store where she raised concerns with the phone didn’t seem concerned that anything was wrong with the device — even though they were also unable to power it up.
“I knew something was wrong with the phone, but [Sprint] told me nothing was wrong,” she said.
Apple introduced the iPhone 7 last September, and Olivas’ malfunction follows a few others that have also overheated to the point of combustion in the last five months. Last fall, the company offered free replacement batteries after some customers reported their 6S models had been powering off unexpectedly.
Samsung experienced similar problems with its Galaxy Note 7 smartphones last year, some of which overheated due to a manufacturing defect in their lithium-ion batteries. Samsung ultimately pulled the device from the market, a move the company said resulted in a loss of nearly $5.5 billion.
CHECK OUT THESE INTERESTING STORIES:
- Security Council wants action against Boko Haram
- CBN disbursed N19bn for ABP last farming season – Keystone Bank
- US to pump $1b into Nigeria’s power sector
- Alex Badeh kept $1m in wardrobe
- Nigeria To Roll Out N20bn Green Bond In April
- Airtel Touching Lives Returns for Season Three
- Gov. Dickson give kudos to ICPC over corruption fight
- Naira hits 520/dollar, forex retailers examine CBN action
- CBN To Boost FX Sales To Retail Users To Help Narrow Black Market Rates
- Gas dealers seek inclusion in CBN 60% FOREX platform
- Naira Falls to N506/$ on Parallel Market
- Money laundering: Go after CBN, NNPC, Senate panel tells EFCC
- Apply for Channels Television Fresh Job Recruitment 2017
- Tonto Dike Bares It All, Says Marriage To Obasanjo’s Nephew Built On Lies
- Nigeria Immigration Service Warns Against Recruitment Scam, Others
- Akeredolu takes oath of office today
- Sen. Bruce denies endorsing Sherriff
- CBN’s Intervention Strengthens Naira At Parallel Market
- CBN holds special forex auction for fuel marketers, airlines
- U.S Confirms Trump’s Call to Buhari, Publishes on white house site