The sustained rally in the banking stocks yesterday lifted the stock market performance as the Nigerian Stock Exchange, NSE, market capitalisation increased by N16.5 billion to close at N9.1trillion.
In a similar vein, another stock market performance indicator, NSE All Share Index rose by 0.2 per cent or 18 bases points to close at 26,373.83 points from 26,325.93 points it opened the market.
Market operators attributed the positive performance to further interest in banking stocks which has sustained uptrend for four consecutive sessions due to bargain hunting.
Analysts from, Afrinvest West Africa said “We do not expect the positive sentiment on banking stocks to be sustained for long as pressures in the macro-economic space remain unaddressed.”
Specifically, the positive market performance was driven by further gains in Zenith Bank which rose by 2.1 per cent, followed by Ecobank Transnational Incorporated, ETI Plc which surged by 4.3v per cent and Access Bank appreciated by 2.9 per cent.
Market activity however remained mixed as volume traded improved by 17.1 per cent to settle at 174.0million units while value traded fell by 68.7 per cent to settle at N1.2 billion.
Market breadth improves
Investor sentiment improved as market breadth strengthened with 17 stocks advancing as against 15 decliners. The best performing stocks were Diamond Bank which gained 7.2 per cent to close at N 1.19 followed by NAHCO rising by 4.5 per cent to close at N 2.80 and ETI which went up 4.3 per cent to close at N10.14 while NCR declined by 4.9 per cent to close at N 8.11 followed by Total which dropped by 4.9 per cent to close at N 285.40 and CUTIX depreciated by 4.5 per cent to record as the worst performers.
CHECK OUT THESE INTERESTING STORIES:
- Naira closes flat at official, black markets
- Profit taking dominates trading on NSE
- First quarter not likely to be rosy for banking stocks – Chukwu
- NSE market capitalization appreciates by 0.08%
- Mortgage bank unveils new branch in State of Osun
- Access Bank Ghana Upgrades Mobile Banking With A New App
- Bitcoin continues downward slide
- Bank Jobs 2017: Transaction Officer At Integrated Corporate Services Limited (ICSL)
- Firstmobile has achieved N1.3tr transaction value – First Bank DMD, Shobo
- Fire guts part of Sterling bank in Ogun
- Naira Slides To N492 At Parallel Market
- Naira exchanges for N490 per dollar at parallel market
- Naira appreciates marginally, now exchanges for N490/$1
- Access Bank’s Herbert Wigwe is magazine’s Man of the Year
- Bank Job: Entry-Level Teller At Integrated Corporate Services Limited (ICSL)
- Access Bank affirms industry leadership with ‘Bank of the Year’ Award
- FUT Minna expels 700 students for poor academic performance, cultism
- FMDQ OTC: Access Bank will retain its leadership position in 2017 – Herbert Wigwe
- NSE market capitalization appreciates as OPEC cut output oil deal
- Shares volume surge by 337% at NSE
The views and opinions expressed here are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Financial Watch. Every investment and trading move involves risk. You should conduct your own research when making a decision.
Be the first to comment