The International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC) is a public international organization (PIO) governed by an international board of directors with representation from developed and developing nations. The non-profit center focuses on increasing and sustaining food and agricultural productivity in developing countries through the development and transfer of effective and environmentally sound crop nutrient technology and agribusiness expertise.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Seed Expert – Apply Here!
Tracking Code: 20120442
- The consultant shall consult agriculture references and agriculture actors (breeders, agronomists, seed specialists, seed companies, farmers organizations, food processors and food industry and any other relevant actors) in target countries to:
- Hand draw the different agro-ecological zones in the country;
- Make an inventory of crop varieties (maize, millet, sorghum and rice) currently existing and/or used with their characteristics in target country by agroecological zone;
- Based on information collected from agriculture actors, assess the scalability potential of the different crop varieties by agroecological zone and rank them according to their scalability potential; The consultant should focus on recently released varieties (<= 10 years past), that are being used by farmers; and also consider isolated cases of old varieties still in use for preferential reasons when in the field.
- Compile and analyze the collected data and develop a database allowing to have information on five best crop varieties (maize, millet, sorghum and rice) by agroecological zones;
- Write the report and present the main result during the sub-regional validation workshop.
Period of completion of the study
- The study will take place from April to May for a period of 10 working days;
- Master’s Degree, Agronomist, or Breeder and related fields
- At least 10 years’ experience in seed development and seed technology upscaling and adoption
- Knowledge of GIS mapping;
- Experience working in West Africa with research and development organization;
- Possess knowledge of target country agriculture/agro-ecological zones/seed crop varieties;
- Relevant experience in agro-input sectors in target country;
- Good understanding of seed industry in target country and/or West Africa;
- Proven record in preparing technical documents; and
- Previous experience at country or international level in seed varieties mapping (appreciated).
Application Closing Date
14th April, 2019
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should – Apply Here!